Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Getting Grounded: Earthships






If these structures look vaguely familiar despite being otherworldly to you they should. Or at least the did to me, being a proud member of the Ren and Stimpy, Clarissa Explains it All, and Doug generation of Nickelodeon. I remember watching Nick News with Linda Ellerbee way back when. Even at that young age it made a big enough impression on me that I remember it today. These sustainable houses definitely stuck.

I am sure I thought that by the time I grew up I would be able to live in this wonderful vision of the future. As the comedian Lewis Black said about the ozone, "we have cellophane, we have rocket ships, fix it already!!". It's a sad reality that we HAVEN'T come this far yet. So it's so painful that we have iphones, and TV's the thickness of a dinner plate but we still haven't changed a single thing about how we make something as fundamental as a house. The radical thinking of Michael Reynolds is refreshing and astonishing not just because of his unconventional materials but because of the sad lack of creativity in the greatest country on the planet. We can do better, and we know it. Please check out this documentary "Garbage Warrior" you won't regret it.

Learn More....

No comments:

Post a Comment